Originally Posted by logtroll
I wonder why we haven't started charging anti-vaxxers who get Covid, and then infect others, with reckless endangerment? That might help to persuade the morons who think that risking the virus is a purely personal choice.
Thought I’d bring this up again. I just saw another article about DeSantis’ stance - it seems the core of his arguments is that mask mandates violate personal rights (he’s proactively making the same case for vaccines, even though there aren’t any mandates yet). A number of people I know who are resisting masks and vaccines aren’t that way due to ideology; they generally go to the place of, “I don’t want to put that scary stuff in my body.” But when pressed they use the inviolable personal rights argument.

The problem with that is people often don’t see that there is a fuzzy boundary between rights and responsibilities - you don’t have the freedom to infringe on the rights of others. Sometimes crossing that boundary involves several steps though a murky transition from freedom to infringement, like what’s wrong with driving a little drunk if you don’t get in a wreck? If you wreck your own car, what business is it of anyone else?

Of course, if you involve someone else in your car wreck and cause damage to their property or to their body, you will be held responsible. That transition isn’t all that murky, and as a result we have laws against driving drunk that are intended to prevent people from indulging in a behavior that has a high probability of stepping on the rights of others.

The analogy between drunk driving and Covid is weak when looked at from the point of view of using masks and vaccines to protect yourself from catching the virus. But it is strong when viewed from the angle of responsibility to not infect others through a failure to take adequate precautions in the face of a known danger.

The counter argument to the anti-mask/vaccine crowd is to make it clear that if a person willfully refuses to take precautions against transmitting the disease, they will be held responsible for any damage caused to others. That could include medical bills, compensation for lost income, disability support, or even manslaughter.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller