Perhaps Pondering. I doubt it though. Vietnam and Iran have a long history of being a country. Not a patch work of 18 tribes, each ruling their own little area. I suppose one could equate Afghanistan to middle age kingdoms.It seems the Taliban has succeeded in uniting the kingdoms under one king or has it? I don't think one can think of Afghanistan as a country, but more as a lot of individual kingdoms that has been conquered.

But there will be rebellions, one or two tribes unite or as in the past, pre-USA involvement, 13 smaller tribes uniting to form the Northern Alliance to fight the Taliban. Pre-USA, most Afghans and tribes didn't know Kabul existed. Heck, they didn't even know Afghanistan was classified as a country. Although we may have sown the seeds for Afghanistan to become a normal country with the Taliban in charge.

You may be correct, but I have a feeling the Taliban will once again welcome AQ, ISIS, other terrorist groups that are anti-western and provide them safe haven and a safe training ground.

You may be way too optimistic, I may be too pessimistic. Come to think of it, perhaps this is why democracy failed. Most Afghans didn't know the concert of being a country, only being a tribe or what one may best describe them, kingdoms. The Afghans didn't lose their tribal affiliations, they looked on themselves as Pashtun, Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek, Aimaq, Turkmen, Baloch, Pashai, Nuristani, Gujjar, Arab, Brahui, Qizilbash, Pamiri, Kyrgyz, Sadat etc. Not as Afghans. That is a concept we tried to install, having them look on themselves as being Afghans instead of their tribal affiliation.

Who knows, the Taliban may be successful where we weren't. Time will tell.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.