Originally Posted by perotista
Originally Posted by Greger
That leaves the unwashed middle, call them independents, perhaps moderates, certainly the non-affiliated. Those basically peeved at both parties and how both parties govern for only their base and not America as a whole.

Hey that's ME! Except that even I can see that Dems are actually trying to help Americans.

But they're going about it completely wrong and are doomed to fail.
Balance
What's going on across the aisle is pretty much sheer madness at this point. You're either a part of it or you aren't. What we've seen over the last five decades or so is that republicans have stopped governing. They are the anti-government party who wants an authoritarian strong man to lead them. I've totally washed my hands of all that nonsense.

The ummm...madness on the Dem side is to raise wages, make college affordable, provide healthcare where it's needed...that sort of thing. You know...actually taking care of Americans rather than the American corporate class.
I'll agree the Republicans are great at being the party out of power, but lousy when it comes to governing. Trump was just a caretaker, he didn't accomplish a thing. At least legislative wise. He didn't even try. Trump is still very much disliked by independents, But congressional parties are pretty much even, independents disdain both. Independents view them equally, 25% view both congressional party members favorably, 67% unfavorably,

Okay, a shot in the dark here. I don't think it's what each party is trying to do or not trying to do. It all boils down to the perception that neither party is willing to work with each other for the betterment of the country. Reality plays little to nothing in perception which comes back to the link I posted on compromise. It also comes down to wanting a functional government, with both parties at loggerheads, their view, perception is we don't have a functioning government. Nothing to back this up, like I said, a shot in the dark. I probably didn't hit anything, not even the barn door. But perceptions play a vital role in how independents vote.
I agree with the concept that it is "functional government" more than "compromise" that motivates independent voters. But, then they vote against that paradigm in off-year elections thinking "balance" - which doesn't work, but brings gridlock. To really achieve a functional government, they need to vote consistently for one party (currently, the Democrats). As noted, the GOP has failed to govern every time they've had control since the 1980s, thanks mostly to Reagan's pledge to be incompetent. It's the only promise he ever fulfilled.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich