religion seems to be taking a hit in the world of white Christians these days.

That's why I said "vaguely Christian" in my post above. There certainly are full-fledged Christians who attend church services once a week or more, pray daily, perform missionary work, etc. (Like my niece!) But nowhere near the numbers of even 50 years ago. I realized this when my supposedly-Southern Baptist step-mother told me about her sincere belief in reincarnation: I guess Jesus (her personal savior) was overseeing the reincarnation process, because Heaven was getting too crowded.

And then there is Lucifer: One of Netflix's most popular series just ended after six seasons. In this series, Lucifer tires of Hell, and moves to Los Angeles. Opens a night club, hooks up with a cute police detective, and helps solve crimes for fun. He's all about punishment for sinners, and Hell is a place guilty people make for themselves to relive their worst moments in an endless loop. I bet more Americans believe in Lucifer's Hell, than Dante's.

We're flying electric helicopters on Mars yet you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas. That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas.