/[quote=Mellowicious]I like this thread; it’s giving me something to think about.

Finally (for now,) another contradiction (and another European-based element.) While wanting to “melting pot” their way into American (Anglo) society, immigrants have also tried to keep something of the Old Country in their lives - often through food and festivals. Some of them are largely made up (St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo,) but in other cases, Polish festivals, Danish/Norwegian festivals, Czech festivals, Carnivals - these are found across the nation. How else would we know about lutefisk? So while we move away as fast as we can we try very hard to bring a piece of it with us.

Maybe I’d say our culture is wholly contradictory.

This thread has drifted so far off topic offtopic from compost, that I'm temped to take my fungus-ball and go home or to another thread! And, to what end? LUTEFISK!! sick

Irked and I have debated the origin on Lutefisk, and have concluded it was clearly a desperation survival startergery when some Norwegians immigrants were trapped in their cabin in Minnesota in May, under 10 feet of snow, with only a pile of dried whitefish and bucket of Drano. Their rationale for settling in Minnesota was that the soil was rich and beautiful, and the weather was just as good as Norway grin

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit